Lead Software Engineer (C#) - make a material difference
We make great software that our users love. You’ll be the lead engineer in a small team, working with a product owner to develop and drive our flagship GRANTA MI software product, used by world leading companies. We are passionate about creating software to the best of our ability and work hard to understand our users’ needs, working with autonomy but collaboratively on all aspects from initial UI design through to testing.
What our developers do
We mostly develop in C# on Visual Studio, and provide all developers with an MSDN subscription and a ReSharper license. We have a no-blame peer review culture, with the aim of encouraging excellence, improvement and learning. We use GitHub for version control, and mostly follow the github-flow model.
We work closely with product owners to define features and priorities, allowing us to get involved in understanding our customer needs and balancing them against development costs. We use Agile processes and have daily stand-ups and regular retrospectives to keep us honest and transparent. We take continuous improvement seriously and everyone’s opinion is valid and listened to. We use Jira to host a Kanban board, and show key metrics and our TeamCity build status on a team radiator.
Find out more about software engineering at Granta Design here: http://www.grantadesign.com/jobs/software-engineering.htm
What you will work on
- Developing innovative new ways for customers to interact with their Materials data
- Building robust back-end solutions to enable customers to manage their Materials databases
- Optimising the application to satisfy the rapid growth of information stored in MI
- Evolving the product suite to keep pace with the changing needs of our clients
We value a range of skills. The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following:
- Extensive development experience with C# and the .NET framework and good knowledge of .NET libraries and frameworks, including idiomatic usage
- The ability to make effective use of debugging, diagnostic and profiling tools to build efficient software
- The analytical skills to effectively resolve technical problems with simple solutions and be able to build consensus around those solutions
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation skills and an attention to detail
- Proficiency in refactoring, including techniques to develop and extend legacy code
- Customer focus and a good awareness of software usability issues
- Significant expertise in the optimized, performance and scalable use of SQL Server in an application environment
- Experience of taking the technical lead role, mentoring and directing other team members.
- A good salary package, with rewards linked to your achievements
- Flexible working hours
- High levels of autonomy
- The career development opportunities that flow from joining a rapidly growing, exciting organization
- A modern, spacious working environment and a casual, relaxed atmosphere
- A 12.5% non-contributory pension scheme
- Share Options
- Healthcare or gym membership
- Death in service cover
We value our people and work hard to create an environment which rewards positivity and supports personal and professional development. As part of this commitment we provide a tailored induction plan, regular reviews and excellent opportunities for progression.
This role offers excellent development potential, with the opportunity to further improve your development skills across a broad range of technologies and practices. We promote use of the latest technologies and encourage our software engineers to keep up to date with the latest developments, and hold regular software events and activities.
Depending on your interests, there are opportunities to progress to a team lead role in the future.