Internship - Materials Data Analyst
Granta are seeking a graduate with an engineering or science background to join our team for 10-12 months.
This is an excellent opportunity for those seeking a placement as part of their university course or for those looking to gain experience in a technical environment.
We are looking for graduates with an interest in developing their skills in a technical environment, working with an experienced analytical team. You will actively contribute to and enhance Granta’s data product offerings, through working on active projects in various industry areas including additive manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, medical and simulation.
About Granta Design
Granta Design, a subsidiary of ANSYS Inc, is a software company leading the specialised field of materials information technology. This is where materials science and engineering meet software and IT. We aim to advance materials engineering and education, and to enable better, greener, safer products.
The company originated in Cambridge where it maintains strong links and has built a high-quality customer base around the world, with organisations such as Airbus, Boeing, Rolls-Royce, General Electric, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson & Johnson, and NASA, as well as most of the world’s leading Universities. As a recently acquired subsidiary of ANSYS, Granta Design has expanded its world-wide presence, and will enable ANSYS customers to access Granta’s innovative material intelligence software programs.
Read more: http://www.grantadesign.com/company/index.htm
See more: https://www.youtube.com/user/GrantaDesign
Careers page: https://www.grantadesign.com/jobs/
The Data Products Team at Granta is responsible for developing data products for various industries within its Granta MI, CES Selector and CES EduPack software platforms. These products contain materials data specific to various industries, including statistically derived design data, the chemical resistance of polymers, the biological response of human tissues to implantable materials and the CO2 footprint of a material. Each product has its own set of requirements and challenges to enable the user to apply the data to their specific problem.
Your role will be to work with the Data Products Team in the development of these data products and working on the high priority projects at that time. Typical projects may include researching and adding information about emerging materials and processes being used in specific industries, developing existing products to meet the needs of users and developing new data handling techniques and processes.
- Development of new content for exiting data products, with specific projects aimed to meet users’ needs
- Working alongside product managers to enhance the coverage of data, in order to improve functionality for end users
- Collaborating with internal and external teams to research and develop products in new industry areas
- Analyse and manipulate data in Excel, and use internal software and processes to add processed information to product databases
- Supporting the team in the creation of new products, through providing recommendations based on findings from individual research projects
- Contributing to the improvement of data processing methods and quality of materials data
The ideal candidate will have:
- Good knowledge of materials and processes: specifically, you have covered engineering materials as part of a general engineering course; ideally following a specialised materials course
- Some computing background with good Excel skills at the minimum. A genuine interest in developing your IT and data analysis skills
- Good English language skills. Should English not be your first language, this will also be an excellent opportunity for you to improve your English throughout the placement
- Good attention to detail and a methodical nature
Why do our interns value their time at Granta:
- You will gain valuable experience working in an innovative & international company
- You will work on highly relevant projects which ultimately form part of the Granta product line
- You will be directly inputting into products used in teaching and commerce all over the world
- You will receive full training and work with an experienced team
- You will learn new skills, particularly within IT/technology
- A stepping stone to building your career
Life at Granta:
Granta Design advocates positive well-being within the workplace and coordinates activities and initiatives that help to enhance this. Some of the benefits of working at Granta include:
- Granta choir group
- Regular movie nights
- Yoga and meditation sessions
- A modern, spacious break-out space with sofas, beanbags and table football
- Outdoor garden space for summer days
- Innovation ‘Mayfly’ day (time reserved to try something different)
- Free gym membership
- Central Cambridge location, close to the leisure park and various pubs/restaurant
If you would like to apply, please visit the careers page on our website
(www.grantadesign.com/jobs) and upload your CV and cover letter.