Application Engineer (Mid-West USA)
Mid-West USA, close to hub airport.
The position is based in the United States, working from your home office in close cooperation with our US Sales force. Domestic and international travel (average 20- 30% of your time within USA and some company meetings in UK) is required therefore you should be located close to a hub airport.
Initially, the successful candidate will spend a period of up to 3 months working from the company headquarters based in Cambridge, UK.
The Application Engineer role will appeal to engineers or scientists with an interest in materials, keen to combine their technical knowledge with the enthusiasm, energy, and ambition required for a customer-facing role.
You will be working closely with our US commercial teams to help leading engineering enterprises to manage and apply vital information about their engineering materials, helping to optimize the product development process. This will involve organizations from industry sectors such as: aerospace, automotive, oil and gas, defense, medical, personal electronics, wind energy and more.
Granta is a software company, the leader in the specialised field of materials information technology. This is where materials science and engineering meet software and IT. We enable companies to manage vital information about their materials, and to apply this information to make better decisions. We support universities in teaching the next generation of scientists, engineers, and designers. We’re helping these organisations to develop ‘material intelligence’ and, ultimately, to ensure development of better, greener, safer products.
Granta started over 20 years ago at Cambridge University, where we maintain strong links. Our high-quality, global customer base includes businesses such as Airbus, Boeing, General Electric, General Motors, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson & Johnson, Rolls-Royce, NASA, and Siemens Wind Power as well as most of the world’s leading universities.
- Engage with existing and potential customers to understand their requirements for materials information management, including extensive discovery to determine use cases, establish the value of potential projects to the prospective customer organization, derive implementation vision and strategy, and identify key metrics for project success.
- Give compelling presentations and demonstrations and support software implementation projects throughout North America.
- Design and develop material and process databases for use in proof-of-value demonstrations
- Develop excellent relationships with customers' key technical stakeholders.
- Generate business winning proposals by bringing together knowledge of potential customers’ use cases with applicable business justifications and a knowledge of different implementation strategies.
- Identify similarities / differences / trends in the requirements between existing and prospective customers, and different industry sectors.
Some special attractions of the role:
- Work with industry leaders in a variety of sectors—Granta's many customers include Boeing, Covidien, DoD, GE, GM, J&J, Lockheed Martin, Materion, NASA, Northrop Grumman, LLNL and SANDIA.
- Be involved in interesting projects across the product design and development process—in materials characterization and design, conceptual product design, environmental and regulatory applications, simulation, and more.
- Work independently and be innovative regarding the technical sales approach to solving customer problems.
- Keep up to date with developments and best practice within relevant technical communities.
- Present at conferences and key trade events.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in mechanical engineering, materials science or a related discipline.
- Significant experience of industries served by Granta.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong personal focus with the ability to identify opportunities for process improvement.
- An organized approach, with good project management skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of office automation software including Excel, and preferably database applications and some VBA and/or SQL.
- Familiarity with CAD / CAE / PLM software.
- Experience in the installation, setup and management of Windows application software.
- Excellent remuneration package
- Medical Insurance contributions
- Share Options Scheme
- A successful and supportive working environment
- Flexible working hours
- 15 days paid time off per year, plus nine public holidays